Commenting is deactivated.

Please post all new topics and queries to the
Discussion Forum


by Andrew

Hi Peter,
have a porcelain vase with what seems to be a rubber - stamped, red ink mark, over the glaze, on the base.
Looks very untidy.
Could it be a Jingdezhen co-operative mark, or is it very recent?
Vase is quite light in weight & thin for its size, quite the opposite to some 1970's flambe ware that is much heavier & blue marked.
regards, Andrew.


Click here to add your own comments

May 11, 2011
Jingdezhen mark
by: peter

Hi Andrew.
Many rubber stamps look that way. Those stamped marks that look very clean are not made with rubber, I think.

I'm not sure what you mean with 'cooperative', but there is quite a number of different Jingdezhen marks, probably all used concurrently, but possibly all from different kilns. You should be aware that Made in Jingdezhen does not mean a kiln of the past, or any specific kiln. There must be hundreds if not thousands of kilns in the area, today.
And all this is not regulated! Anybody can go to a seal or stamp shop and ask for such a stamp. They will make one as requested.

Actually, I don't have much information on these Jingdezhen marks because they were only used later in the 20th century, and they are just general marks, not specific to any manufacturer, it appears. You can almost be sure that an item with that mark is not antique.
But some of the items with the mark are really looking nice.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Ask a question or contribute - archived 2011.

search by keyword