Commenting is deactivated.

Please post all new topics and queries to the
Discussion Forum

Chinese or Japanese

by Ping

Hi Peter,

I have very large of Oriental vase. Please help me to identify this vase.


Comments for Chinese or Japanese

Click here to add your own comments

Thank you
by: Ping

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your comment, I agree it looks like Japanese style as the men on the scene.

Hi Stan,
My one has some flower decoration inside the top.

I have no idea about this, my husband got it from local auction.

by: peter

The characters mean "right" (side) and "seven". However, I have seen these characters in old time personal names of men. Might be the craftsman...

Japanese vase
by: Stan

Hi Ping, I have some similar vases, some of the vases I have,have the same mark on the side, Maybe Peter can tell us what the marks mean, I think they might be a kiln mark or the makers mark, the ones I have are marked on the bottom with a six characher mark, made by Fukagawa, on all the early fukagawa vases that I have seen they also decorated the inside top usually with a flower decoration, is yours decorated inside the top rim, the ones that I have do not have a crackle glaze like yours, the crackle was made that way but usually by satsuma and the porcelain by satsuma had a tan color glaze with crackle, the fukagawa did samurai warriors and wemen in bright colors like yours and a ruffed top rim, from Stan.

by: peter

Japanese style, motif/shape and mark.
I will leave it to someone specialized on Japanese items to tell whether it was actually made in Japan or in China.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Ask a Question or Contribute - archived.

search by keyword