Commenting is deactivated.

Please post all new topics and queries to the
Discussion Forum

Chinese Or Japanese Tea set

by Sal Kahil
(Vancouver BC Canada)

the set

the set

Hand painted set.
bought it from an estate sale for $20.00
I wonder if it is Chinese like she said or Japanese as I think.
the set is very thin except the dessert plates are thicker.

thank you Peter

Comments for Chinese Or Japanese Tea set

Click here to add your own comments

May 23, 2013
Tea Set
by: Phil and Marsha

Set came from my uncle who was in the Navy. He obtained the set during or after WWII. We were told the set was designed to commemorate Hirohito's coronation or marriage.

Mar 04, 2013
thank you
by: sal kahil

Thank you Andrea for your comments.
yes you can see through if you hold it against the light or sky

Mar 04, 2013
Modern I Think
by: Andrea

I bought the same tea set about 20 years ago because i thought it matched a set bought cack from the far east by my Grandmother in the 1930's.

In fact I think this is a more modern copy. The original set is much finer and the pattern is repaeated inside the cups. If you hold the older pieces to the light they are competely see through.

No idea what either sets are worth.

Sep 24, 2012
so old old is it d you think?
by: Sal Kahil

Mr. Olsen,
thank you for your contribution.
I had lots of comments. it could be over 70 years old

Sep 24, 2012
Japanese tea set
by: Claus Olsen

Definately Japanese. The design of the pot is typical, specially the knot of the lid like two deformed cookies set agains each other - thereby hiding the hole to slip out the damp ! I have same in my collection - SIGNED.

Sep 17, 2012
Chnese tea set
by: Anonymous

I have inherited the identical teaset from my grandmother. She got it when she was in Hong Kong in 1935.

Apr 09, 2011
over 50 years
by: Anonymous

if the item is over 50 years: would it be considered as antique? modern?

This can be considered vintage at the most.

Apr 07, 2011
Japanese set
by: peter

Hi Sal,
This is typical Japanese, both decoration and shapes. Would be modern, I think.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Ask a question or contribute - archived 2011.

search by keyword