Batavia - Headquarters of the Dutch VOC
Batavia (today's Jakarta) was the headquarters for all activities of the
Dutch East India Company (VOC) in the Far East and South East Asia.
The Dutch originally established their first trading post in Java at the port of
Banten (Bantam), which later was removed to a nearby place; this was named Batavia.
In 1516 the Dutch East India Company made the port the center of all trade and operations, until the company's demise at the end of the 18th century.
Originally, the VOC had used Malacca after it was captured from the Portuguese in 1641. It served as transshipment port for the region.
As Malacca's importance started to decline Batavia was preferred over Malacca as VOC operation base. Despite this the Dutch kept control over Malacca, as it was situated in a strategic location at the Malacca Straits, the main trade route to East Asia.
Batavia became the port where all Dutch ships would be calling during their voyages to and from Europe.
The V.O.C. (Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie) was established in 1602 and was defunct in 1798.
During its exstence the V.O.C was the biggest of all European East India Companies.
Blue and white capuchin porcelain plate (capucijner)
Items with a brown backing are commonly called "batavia ware", "capuchin porcelain" (or capucijner). This is the name given to a type of export porcelain allegedly popular with the Dutch.
Usually, these wares have either a brown glaze outside (with cups, jars, etc.), or underneath (plates, dishes, etc.). Some items have little windows in the brown glaze with decorations.